You’ve seen the notice in marketing emails you receive; it usually says something like, “Please add our email address to your safe senders list.” They’re suggesting this so you’ll actually receive the emails and not have them dumped into a spam folder, or filtered out completely.
Problem is, when you signed up for that newsletter (and who cares about receiving the ones you didn't ask for, that’s when the spam filter is doing its job!) you probably needed to add their email address to your safe list right then. Otherwise, it’s like sending someone an email and asking them to let you know if they don't receive it!
Also, what if you just made a new contact and you’re hoping to get an email from them but you’re afraid your inbox will spam them out the first time? How do you add them to your safe senders list?
Here’s a quick list of the top four most common email clients and how to ensure you’ll receive emails from whomever you’d like:
To create a contact (safe sender) based upon the sender of an email message that you have already received:
- Open or preview the email message that contains the name that you want to add to your contact list.
- Right-click the name of the person you want, and choose Add to Contacts.
By default, email addresses in your Outlook contacts are already considered “safe senders” by the Junk E-mail Filter, and are never moved to the Junk E-mail folder.
Important: When you send a message to someone that is not one of your Outlook contacts, by default, the recipient email address is not added to the safe senders list. This means that when the recipient replies to your message, the reply message might be moved to the Junk E-Mail folder.
To make sure that your message recipients, even if they are not an Outlook contact, are on your safe senders list, do the following:
- On the Home tab, in the Delete group, click Junk, and then click Junk E-mail Options.
- On the Safe Senders tab, select the Automatically add people I e-mail to the Safe Senders List check box.
Gmail (latest version)
Contacts are automatically added if you have ever used Reply, Reply to All, or Forward from an email from someone. But if they’re new:
- Click Contacts along the left side of any page.
- Click the New Contact button in the top-left corner of the Contact Manager.
- Enter your contact’s information in the appropriate fields. Any information you add will save automatically.
You can enter additional contact info by clicking the Add drop-down menu and entering additional information in the appropriate fields.
There are a number of ways to add contacts to your Yahoo! address book:
There are two ways to add a new contact:
- Use the Quick Add Contact module at the bottom or top of the address book, enter the information in the fields provided, and click the Add button.
- Or, click the Add Contact button on the left side of your address book, enter the contact information, and click Save Contact.
To search your messages for contacts and add them to your address book:
- Click the Quickbuilder button next to Add Contact > Add Category
- Use the checkboxes next to the names in the results to add them to your Address Book.
To add a contact when you receive an email:
- Click the Add Addresses button attached to the incoming email to automatically add the sender’s address to your address book.
To receive all emails from a safe contact:
- In the top right of your inbox click Options > More Options.
- Under Junk Email click Safe and Blocked Senders.
- Under Safe and Blocked Senders click Safe Senders.
- Type in the email address and then click the box Add to List.